September 3, 2010 - Mountain View resident Jane Horton said her fight to have her home tested for toxic groundwater vapors would have been much easier if a recent update to an important Environmental Protection Agency plan had been in place.
For years, Horton was told that the city's toxic TCE groundwater plume stopped in the middle of Whisman Road, 20 feet from her house.
After much public controversy, the computer chip makers who leaked the industrial solvent into the area's groundwater table eventually tested her home in 2003. Unacceptable levels of TCE vapors had made their way through the soil and into her home, and the polluters paid for a system to ventilate her cellar.
"TCE is carcinogenic to humans by all routes of exposure," and human health effects include kidney and liver cancer, lymphoma and various other reproductive, developmental and neurological effects, according to the EPA in a report issued in December.