Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Indiana Residents fear for their health

February 8, 2009 - It's been five years since Peggy Richardson was able to rinse her Thanksgiving turkey under the running tap. Five years since she could wash fresh fruit without first filling up a tub with water from a bottle. Five years since she was able to shower without worrying whether contaminated water from the showerhead will harm her body.

Richardson hasn't been able to drink or cook with her tap water for the past five years because her well is contaminated with boron and molybdenum.

She lives less than half a mile from Yard 520, a landfill owned by Brown Inc. For three decades, NIPSCO stored coal ash from its Michigan City generation station there. The ash was left over from coal burned to produce electricity.

More . . .

No comments: